Letter Before Action. Well, I have got my first lawyer’s letter. It is odd to be on the receiving end of a process I have used so often before. There is always a first time for anything. This is what the letter said.
Re: Weblog – Corruption-Free Anguilla dated July 4, 2007 under Title “Confusion”
We act for and on behalf of the following Ministers of the Government of Anguilla in their personal capacity with respect to the captioned matter.
(1) The Honourable Mr Evans McNeil Rogers, Minister of Social Services
(2) The Honourable Mr Kenneth Harrigan, Minister of Infrastructure, Communications, Utility and Housing
(3) The Honourable Mr Victor Banks, Minister of Finance
(4) The Honourable Mr Osborne Fleming, Chief Minister
We are instructed that on the 4 July 2007 you made and published or caused to be published and distributed on your weblog, found at the following internet address http://corruptionfreeanguilla.blogspot.com, under the heading “Confusion” certain statements, in particular at paragraph 4, which are defamatory against the Ministers.
The Ministers have no objection to fair and honest criticism, but they are not prepared to remain indifferent to such libelous allegations on their personal character as you have made.
We are therefore instructed to demand that you immediately
(1) make and cause to be published a full and unqualified apology for and withdrawal of, the imputations contained on your said weblog, such apology to be published at your own expense on your said weblog and in The Anguillian (the form of such apology to be approved by us);
(2) give an undertaking not to continue the publication of said statements contained under the heading referred to, or publish any similar statements of or concerning the Ministers;
(3) make an offer for damages; and
(4) indemnify the Ministers with respect to such legal costs as they have incurred thus far.
Failing a satisfactory reply within (7) days from receipt of this letter our instructions are to take the necessary legal action against you.
Please be guided accordingly.
Keithley Lake & Associates
(sd) Keithley FT
I am taking advice from my attorneys as to the best way to respond. Stay tuned for the latest developments.